20/01/2009

Luisa Lambri






“Buildings are living creatures: they preserve memories and they change according to the people who inhabit them. That’s why all my images seem almost empty; I’m trying to restore an atmosphere that goes beyond the immediate function of each construction.
Images are built on layers. One layer is the actual building, with it’s own story and style; one layer can be architecture and its function, but on top of them I try to cast the shadow of my presence”
Luisa Lambri

I read about Lambri in one of the Domus issues, devoted to the work of Gio Ponti.
Her photographs of his Carmelite Convent of Bonsochetto in Sanremo and his Church of San Lucia in Milan left me speechless. It doesn’t happen that often to feel so connected with an image, especially for me, an architect and amateur photographer to see that there is someone else who sees the same energy and potential in architectural creations.
Luisa originally studied languages and literature at Bologna and Milan universities and started her career by chance. Her photographs were a kind of a record of her travels where from the beginning she was interested with new and classic modern buildings.
What’s so beautiful and special about her work is that it’s incredibly emotional and sensitive. Lambri “transforms minimal architecture into mysterious images that float free of familiar associations” (Michael Webb). Her abstract in a way photographs showing roof lights, shutters or blinds show us how absence can stimulate our senses, teach patience and attentive observation.
Miss Lambri, if you ever read it (which I doubt), I’d love to meet you, you must be an amazing person!

No comments: