18/08/2008

NYU Department of Philosophy by Steven Holl


Here are few photographs of the interior renovation for NY University Department of Philosophy I took during my visit in New York. It was my first Steven Holl’s building/design I saw in real life and I was amazed by how he really “moves architecture towards poetry”. The experience of light and shadow and his very sensual choice of different textures and materials make the space of the stair shaft very special.

It was also a treat to find his lecture on the Architectural League web site. It took place in February this year at the Great Hall of Cooper Union in New York. Holl talks about the 11 points that frame his new book, Urbanisms: Working with Doubt and discusses his design of the Linked Hybrid complex in Beijing. Worth watching!

No comments: